Montgomery G.I. Bill Information
The State of Illinois Department of Veteran's Affairs has identified several IFSI courses that qualify for reimbursement for a veteran's federal VA education benefits. If you qualify for Montgomery G.I. Bill VA education benefits, you may apply for VA benefits for any of the courses listed below. This reimbursement will come directly to you, normally after you have completed the course. Should you desire to pay for the course directly, IFSI will bill you. Should your department pay for your training and desire that the department be reimbursed for the costs, IFSI will bill the department and you will have to coordinate repayment with your department.
Courses Qualifying for Reimbursement: The Fire Service Institute has requested, and the State Approving Agency has approved, the following programs for federal veterans' benefits, i.e., G.I. Bill. The veteran or eligible person must prepay the tuition fee. The veteran must contact the Fire Service Institute veterans' certifying official to apply for his/her benefits. The actual amount of the benefits will depend upon the program and the eligibility of the individual veteran or eligible person.
The following are IFSI courses, programs, and eligible hours that qualify for VA education benefits. To be eligible to receive these benefits, the veteran must have completed the course or program within 12 months prior to the date of application to the VA. Details are available upon request.
- Certified Firefighter II - 280 hours
- Fire Officer I - 200 hours
- Fire Officer II - 150 hours
- Fire/Arson Investigation - 120 hours
- Fire Instructor Program Series - 160 hours
- Auto Extrication Tech II - 80 hours
- Vertical Rescue Specialist - 128 hours
- Hazardous Materials Technical Series - 218 hours
- Emergency Medical Technician - Basic - 120 hours
- Fire Apparatus Engineer - 64 hours