|Agency||Chicago Fire Department|
|Type of Firefighter||Career|
|Age Range||46 to 50|
|Date of Birth||0/0/0|
|Date of Death||8/23/1914|
|Cause of Death||Contact/Exposure|
|Nature of Death||Electrocution|
|Attribute of Death||[not applicable]|
|Type of Duty||Responding to/returning from incident|
On August 23, 1914, Chicago Fire Department Lieutenant William H. Shannon of Engine 119 died in the line of duty near the Engine 119 firehouse on Avondale Avenue. A member of the fire department for twenty-six years, Shannon was electrocuted during a storm when he tried to retrieve from the street an electrical wire that he believed was no longer charged. Firefighters attempted to revive him with a resuscitating machine, but their efforts were unsuccessful.
“Wire Kills Two; Bolt Hits Woman Embalming Body; Fireman Loses Life,” Chicago Daily Tribune, August 24, 1914.